Member Sponsorship Guidelines
Sponsoring a candidate for membership in Sasqua Garden Club is an important responsibility. It is through new members that the future vigor and health of the club is ensured. Therefore, the by-laws clearly outline what is required to formally sponsor a candidate and the practices enumerated below inform sponsors/seconders about their longer-term responsibility to their candidates.
Following is a snapshot of the by-laws that govern sponsoring candidates for admission:
- a candidate for admissions must attend at least two regular meetings with her proposer prior to being proposed.
- the candidate should be a resident of Fairfield or its vicinity for at least one year and know the proposer socially for at least one year.
- Members may not propose a candidate when they are involved in a direct business relationship with the candidate.
In addition to the by-laws, what follows is a set of guidelines to assist sponsors/seconders navigate the admissions process:
- To sponsor a candidate, the sponsor and seconders must have completed the Provisional year and been an active member for no less than one garden club program year (September-June).
- The sponsor and seconder may submit only one letter each as a proposer and seconder in any admissions cycle.
- Review provisional guidelines with prospective candidates before submitting formal application. Membership Application
- When bringing a candidate to a meeting, be sure to inform the chair of Membership in advance. At the meeting, seek out board members and others to introduce candidate.
- As sponsor, if you are unable to attend a meeting, it is advisable to contact the seconder to accompany the candidate.
- The sponsor has a responsibility to shepherd her candidate through club activities in the Provisional and subsequent years through club activities.
- Invite provisional to partner in a sweepstakes and attend a workshop together.
- Participate in club activities together including
- Hostess a meeting together
- Take a Visiting Gardens trip together
- Carpool to the Read School or the Birdcraft Museum together
- Call a provisional in advance of a monthly meeting and make plans to attend together.